Submission deadline: March 15, 2020
Acceptance decisions will be available in early April 2020
Submissions are invited for the eighth meeting of The Association for Feminist Epistemologies, Methodologies, Metaphysics, and Science Studies (FEMMSS) to be held at the University of Waterloo, August 20 – 23 2020. This conference welcomes submissions from across the disciplines. FEMMSS is a great conference for works in progress. Conference presentations are eligible for submission for consideration and review in a special issue of Feminist Philosophy Quarterly.
Presentation topics can include but need not be limited to:
- Structure, power, and culture in knowledge producing communities
- Decolonial and indigenized science and epistemology
- Intersectionality in practice and study of science and technology
- Ableism, science, and technology
- Collaboration and interdisciplinarity
- Feminist methodologies in the humanities, social and natural sciences
- Feminist dilemmas in research practices
- Science, law, and legislation
- Health policy
- Climate change, science, and justice
- Policy of/for science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- Science, technology and global justice
- AI and intersectional gender equity/equality
- Psychological mechanisms of injustice: Implicit bias and stereotype threat
- Production of biological or technological “differences”
- Entrepreneurial STEM cultures
- Science and values
- Science and gender in the public imagination
- Effective expert/citizen communication/education
- Abuse/harassment in research settings: institutional design failure
- The ethics and politics of science and technology
- Creating equitable STEM organizations and institutions
- Epistemologies of ignorance
- Feminist scholarship of teaching and learning
- Professional development (e.g., interdisciplinary communication/ networking/ engaging the media)
You are permitted one submission, unless you are submitting a poster or a visual arts item for display. If you are submitting a poster or visual arts item, you can additionally submit an abstract for a paper, panel, or workshop.
- Individual papers and posters: Please provide a title, 300-word abstract, and 3-10 keywords. At the beginning of the abstract please indicate if your submission is a poster. There is no need to upload anything, so please tick the box that says, “abstract only.”
- Panels: Please provide a title, 300-word abstract, and 3-10 keywords for the panel as a whole. Also, upload a single document that includes the title and 300-word abstract for each paper. Please take care not to identify authors.
- Workshops: Please provide a title, 300-word abstract describing the workshop rationale, and 3-10 keywords. Also, upload a 300-word description of the activities in which your audience will engage. Please take care not to identify authors.
- Visual arts items for display: Please submit an electronic image of the item, 3-10 keywords, and a 300 word description of the content, its measurements, and how it is to be displayed (e.g., hung on wall; object placed on floor or table; video clip accessible on the WEB). If the item was not created by you, please include proof that the holder of the copyright agrees to this display of the item.
To submit please go to https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=femmss8 and sign up for an account. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FEMMSS 8 will prioritize accessibility. Guidelines for accessible content will be distributed with successful participant notifications. The venue is wheelchair accessible and will have a quiet room. Additional information about accessibility can be found on the conference webpage. All conference participants will be invited to identify ways that the conference organizers can help mitigate possible barriers to participation. All information will be kept confidential.
If you have questions please check out the conference website www.femmss8.org or email email@example.com.